Soft Polenta with mixed mushrooms.
A really simple and comforting supper, soft polenta is a wonderful base and can be used as a substitute for mashed potato.
This would also make an easy but impressive dish for friends as well.
250ml milk plus 100ml extra if needed
1/2 cup fine corn polenta
50g pecorino, grated
3 tbsp unsalted butter
Sea salt and black pepper
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
6 large mushrooms, thickly sliced
1 tbsp lemon thyme, chopped
30g pecorino, shaved
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and water to the boil, pour in the polenta and stir continuously until it thickens, about 10-20 minutes. When cooked – it should be thick but still soft, like porridge – add grated pecorino and one tablespoon of butter then mix until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. The polenta should be soft and creamy and only just hold its shape – add a little extra milk if it becomes too stiff.
3. Add olive oil and one tablespoon of butter to a large non-stick fry pan over a medium heat. When the butter starts bubbling, add the garlic and mushrooms and cook briefly until golden and just done.
4. Mix the thyme through the mushrooms and season. You may need to add another tablespoon of butter to keep the mushrooms moist.
5. Pour the polenta into a serving dish, top with the mushrooms and pecorino shavings and serve.